
Obstacles and challenges.
Do they have a special connection with you guys? Do they come ringing by your door every few weeks, or even days? People say that they are part and parcel of life and that for one to mature mentally and physically, they have to face them with utmost bravery and beat them hands down. But how do you do that? This, would definitely dumbfound me and probably some others too. I personally do not think that there is a correct or incorrect method to dealing with the obstacles and challenges in life. What I feel is that the mindset is all that matters. And this would bring me to my story...
It was the day of reckoning. It was the first official tournament that I played for the school in my CCA, floorball. Even until now, the name of the tournament still gives me the shivers- The Under 15 tournament. On my way to Choa Chu Kang stadium with my floorball mates, I was engulfed in mixed feelings of adrenaline and nervousness. My heart was palpitating non-stop like as if there were ten huge chinese gongs in it beating vigorously. Flaming missiles of negative thoughts besieged my mind. What would be expecting me at the stadium? I really did not know at that point of time. I just merely hoped it was something positive. Well, I mean who would want their debut at a tournament to be a negative experience?
There, the time had come. we prepared ourselves with the huge amount of matches that were confronting us. The first few matches were of a breeze. We won majority of them. However, towards the ending we were all pretty much exhausted.(I am not sure about the others, but I sure do feel tired!) The match lasted from afternoon till around 8pm at night. Soon, I had little energy to chase after the ball and my passes went astray and so on and so forth.
Suddenly, my team mate shouted, " Come on Darryl, you can do better than this! "
I shook, literally. I came to my senses and got out of my semi-conscious mind. I could not just go on like that without any fighting spirit at all. I had to change our 'fate'. I had a sudden gush of energy from somewhere unknown to me that kept me running. Thus, due to our teamwork, we played very well during the last few periods of the game, which allowed us to win the last match against Hillgrove and emerge as overall third in the tournament. (actually, there were only 4 teams playing in the under 15 tournament. 2 teams from VS and 1 from Hillgrove and the other is XinShang Alumni.)
This tournament was indeed an eye opener for me. It allowed me to gain more experience and it taught me that whenever I go for a tournament, be it my opponents are 4 times bigger than my size or 4 times smaller than my size, I should go there with a positive winning attitude and give it my all! Thus, mindset is all that matters. (Of course, we also need to practice to hone our skills too.) Be it the obstacles harrassing me at my door every few period of time, I would gladly open my door and challenge it, for I know that to overcome it I would have to face it like a man. Hence, we might as well get it over and done with, don't you think so?
Do they have a special connection with you guys? Do they come ringing by your door every few weeks, or even days? People say that they are part and parcel of life and that for one to mature mentally and physically, they have to face them with utmost bravery and beat them hands down. But how do you do that? This, would definitely dumbfound me and probably some others too. I personally do not think that there is a correct or incorrect method to dealing with the obstacles and challenges in life. What I feel is that the mindset is all that matters. And this would bring me to my story...
It was the day of reckoning. It was the first official tournament that I played for the school in my CCA, floorball. Even until now, the name of the tournament still gives me the shivers- The Under 15 tournament. On my way to Choa Chu Kang stadium with my floorball mates, I was engulfed in mixed feelings of adrenaline and nervousness. My heart was palpitating non-stop like as if there were ten huge chinese gongs in it beating vigorously. Flaming missiles of negative thoughts besieged my mind. What would be expecting me at the stadium? I really did not know at that point of time. I just merely hoped it was something positive. Well, I mean who would want their debut at a tournament to be a negative experience?
There, the time had come. we prepared ourselves with the huge amount of matches that were confronting us. The first few matches were of a breeze. We won majority of them. However, towards the ending we were all pretty much exhausted.(I am not sure about the others, but I sure do feel tired!) The match lasted from afternoon till around 8pm at night. Soon, I had little energy to chase after the ball and my passes went astray and so on and so forth.
Suddenly, my team mate shouted, " Come on Darryl, you can do better than this! "
I shook, literally. I came to my senses and got out of my semi-conscious mind. I could not just go on like that without any fighting spirit at all. I had to change our 'fate'. I had a sudden gush of energy from somewhere unknown to me that kept me running. Thus, due to our teamwork, we played very well during the last few periods of the game, which allowed us to win the last match against Hillgrove and emerge as overall third in the tournament. (actually, there were only 4 teams playing in the under 15 tournament. 2 teams from VS and 1 from Hillgrove and the other is XinShang Alumni.)
This tournament was indeed an eye opener for me. It allowed me to gain more experience and it taught me that whenever I go for a tournament, be it my opponents are 4 times bigger than my size or 4 times smaller than my size, I should go there with a positive winning attitude and give it my all! Thus, mindset is all that matters. (Of course, we also need to practice to hone our skills too.) Be it the obstacles harrassing me at my door every few period of time, I would gladly open my door and challenge it, for I know that to overcome it I would have to face it like a man. Hence, we might as well get it over and done with, don't you think so?


